According to the National Sleep Foundation, taking too much of a sleep aid can lead to an overdose. Overdosing on sleep aids can result in dangerous side effects including:
Slow heart rate
Most people who use sleep aids don't think about the possibility of overdosing on them. However, it is possible to overdose on sleep aids, and doing so can have serious consequences.
If you believe you or someone you know has overdosed on a sleep aid, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.
Sleep aids are typically taken in pill form, and they work by helping you to fall asleep and stay asleep. They are typically used for people who have difficulty sleeping, or for people who have conditions that make it difficult to get a good night's sleep.
While most people don't think about the possibility of overdosing on sleep aids, it is something that can happen. Overdosing on sleep aids can be deadly, and it is important to be aware of the signs of an overdose.
It's a question we've all asked ourselves at one point or another: can you overdose on sleep aids? The National Sleep Foundation says that chronic insomnia affects 50 to 70 million adults in the United States alone. According to the CDC, one in three American adults don't get enough sleep. With numbers like that, it's no wonder we're all looking for a little help when it comes to getting some shut eye.
If you or someone you know has taken too many sleep aids, it is important to seek medical help immediately. Overdosing on sleep aids can cause coma or death, so it is not something to be taken lightly.
There are a lot of different sleep aids on the market, from over the counter medications to prescription drugs. But can you really overdose on something that's meant to help you sleep? Let's take a look at the potential risks of taking sleep aids and what you can do to stay safe.
Can You Overdose on Sleep Aids?
The short answer is yes, you can overdose on sleep aids. But it's important to understand that not all sleep aids are created equal. Some sleep aids, like over the counter medications, are relatively safe when taken as directed. Others, like prescription drugs, can be more dangerous.
The key to reducing your risk of overdosing on sleep aids is to understand the active ingredients in the medication you're taking and how they work. For example, diphenhydramine, which is found in many over the counter medications, works by blocking histamine receptors in the brain. Histamine is a chemical that helps keep us awake and alert, so by blocking it, diphenhydramine helps us to feel sleepy.
Diphenhydramine is generally safe when taken as directed, but there are some potential side effects including dry mouth, dizziness, and headache. Taking too much diphenhydramine can cause an overdose, which can lead to dangerous side effects like seizures and vomiting. In extreme cases, an overdose of diphenhydramine can be fatal.
Ways To Stay Safe When Taking Sleep Aids
If you're considering taking a sleep aid, there are a few things you can do to reduce your risk of overdosing:
Follow the instructions on the packaging carefully. Do not take more than the recommended dose.
If you're taking a prescription sleep aid, talk to your doctor about the potential risks and benefits. Make sure you understand how the medication works and what the possible side effects are.
If you're taking an over the counter medication, talk to your pharmacist about the best option for you and make sure you understand how it works.
Avoid drinking alcohol while taking sleep aids as this can increase your risk of overdosing.
Do not take sleep aids if you're pregnant or breastfeeding as this can be dangerous for both you and your baby.